Saturday, September 13, 2014

Zuidema Ready For College Ball


SPRING ABROR, MI — Drew Zuidema, a NorthPointe Christian High School grad, is not only bringing his talents to Spring Arbor University (SAU), but his confidence too. Just days ago the 6’3 sharpshooter made the move from West Michigan to SAU, where he’ll be one of four freshman on this season’s young basketball team. 
Zuidema, who scored more than 18 points per game in high school, exudes one trait vital for immediate success, especially
zuid as a freshman, and that is confidence. #3 is more than ready to make a difference.
“I believe in my abilities. I know I can help this team not only with my shooting, but also with my passing and my basketball IQ, which sometimes gets overlooked,” said Zuidema.  
Despite setting high standards for himself, Zuidema’s focus is directed not just toward his play, but toward his team’s goals as well.
“We want to finish in the top four [of the Crossroads League] and then make it to Branson. We’ve got some lofty yet reachable goals that will take a lot of hard work to obtain. I just want to do whatever I can to help my team reach them,” he added.
SAU failed to make the tournament last season, but has a reshaped roster for the 2014-2015 campaign. If this year’s clan of Cougars expects to turn a trip to Branson into reality, they’ll have to compete with the likes of Indiana Wesleyan University (IWU). There’s no better team to serve as a measuring stick for Coach Cottingham’s Cougars team, as IWU tips of this season as defending national champions.
“I can’t wait to play IWU,” said Zuidema. “I respect their staff. They recruited me. And they’re the .zuidema 3champs. So you could say I’m excited to play those guys.”
Zuidema will have to wait until January 17th before fulfilling this craving against the Wildcats. Fortunately for Zuidema, he’s just excited to play anyone.
“I’m pumped to play at this level, with competition [consisting of] teams full of guys who were the best players on their high school teams. I’m excited to see how I will compete,” he said.
He doesn’t have to wait much longer. SAU opens up their season in exhibition format at Lake Superior State University on October 25th
“It can’t come soon enough. I’m ready for college ball,” said Zuidema.

No comments:

Post a Comment