Thursday, May 2, 2013

The Fastest Gets Faster


SPRING ARBOR, MI – DeWayne Gray is the fastest sprinter on the Spring Arbor University (SAU) men’s track and field team, and is only getting faster.
            The soon-to-be senior sat out the entire 2012-2013 season after deciding to red shirt. Sitting out, he believes, has been the best thing for him.
            “Since I haven’t had to worry about competing on a weekly basis, I have been able to focus on my form, technique, and overall training which has helped me improve,” Gray said. “I have been able to spend more time on Olympic lifting and core work, which has helped me gain explosiveness.”
            If Gray has improved on his already impressive times, then Cougar track and field fans are in for a treat.
            Gray already holds the school record at SAU for the indoor 55, 60, and 200 meter races, as well as the outdoor 100 and 200 meter races. He not only dominates individually, but has also been a part of relay teams that have made their mark atop the leader-board.
            Gray hopes the improvement he’s made during his red shirt season will help him shatter his own records, and remain at the top. For him, it’s simply a matter of getting back on the track.
            “I love cheering on my teammates and since my role changed this year, I have enjoyed becoming more of a vocal and encouraging leader. However, I’ve been getting that fire in my gut telling me I need to be out their competing, and I wasn’t able to this year. So that has been frustrating at times, but still a part of the process.”
            Gray will return to competition next season, where he and his teammates look to have the Cougars sitting atop the conference standings in the Crossroads League.

No comments:

Post a Comment