Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Smith finds new beginning at SAU


SPRING ARBOR, MI -- Lansing Community College transfer Montel Smith is the newest member of the Spring Arbor University (SAU) men’s basketball team. For Smith, playing under head coach Ryan Cottingham comes as no surprise. 

“I came to SAU a couple years ago for work, and I couldn’t stop thinking about how I could see myself playing basketball here. Clearly, that was no coincidence,” said Smith.        

The 6’4 wing from Lansing maintains that he is already feeling comfortable on SAU’s small campus. After Growing up near Michigan State University, home to one of the nation’s largest campuses, Smith finds relief in the idea that getting lost won’t be an issue now that he’s found solace in small college America.

“I love the people here. I love the small college atmosphere. And thank God I can go from class to class without getting lost.”

Though not the biggest of universities, SAU certainly does not lack in athletic prestige. The Cougars play in the Crossroads League, which is consistently among the most competitive basketball conferences in NAIA division II.

The parity of the Crossroads League is undeniable. Whether facing the team in first or in tenth, blowouts are a rarity, which has Smith excited.

“I know the teams in this league are real competitive and I love that. We’re going to have to compete every time we step on the floor, and I can’t wait.” 

If the Cougars are to make it to Branson, which Smith acknowledges is the goal, they’ll certainly have to. 

Smith’s on-court role on the team is yet to be seen, but he believes he is prepared to do whatever it takes to get W’s.

“I’m not exactly sure what my stats will look like this year. While it would be ideal to average double figures, I know Coach Cotts will first and foremost want me to play hard-nosed defense and rebound the ball. If the other team can’t score they can’t win, so defense, without a doubt, comes first.”


“Offensively I’m just preparing myself to be able to do whatever coach asks of me. If he wants points, I’ll look to score. If he wants assists, I’ll pass the rock. Really, I’m just looking forward to my fresh, new start.”

Now in Spring Arbor, a fresh start is exactly what Smith has been granted. We’ll see what he makes of it in 44 days, when the Cougars open up the season at home against the Tigers of Grace Bible College.

No comments:

Post a Comment